Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.59%
    Weekly Activity
    2.5%
    Achievements 1000 Activity Points100 Rep Points500 Posts!100 posts!250 posts!

Default Eating peanuts before bed

I got really sick of protein shakes and cottage cheese before bed and developed a new peanut habbit.

Lately I've been consuming a cup of shelled peanuts before bed (which is roughly about 26g of fat, 300 cal). Is this a bad idea or ok as my last meal? I usually eat them at 9pm and go to bed at 12am.

I don't have any specific weight-loss goal, but don't want to start packing on bodyfat by this regime. Any thoughs?
    Insist upon yourself. Be original

Viking Warrior
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.19%
    Weekly Activity
    5627.5%
    Achievements 5000 Posts!
    10,000 Activity Points!5000 Activity Points!2000 Activity Points!1000 Activity Points100 Rep Points
    Awards Master Logger - Keeping a training log for more than a year!Dedication - Keeping a training log for more than 6 months!Logger - Keeping a training log for more than 3 months!Human Guinea Pig - Thanks for using yourself as a test subject!Nuclear Powered Poster! - Congratulations on having more than 5,000 posts!  Keep up the good work!

I don't see anything wrong with it, however I'd like to see what Sarah or one of the other more nutritionally minded folks would have to say.

Have you considered something like a hard-boiled egg or two?
    "When my mind starts telling me to stop I know that my competition just racked the weight and now is the time to create a gap between them and me. This is when you have to dig deep and grind out as many as your body possibly can."-Dusty Hanshaw

The harder I work the luckier I get...
    ...Just lucky that way, I guess.

My -Training Log- thoughts, questions, and comments are always welcome

vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.59%
    Weekly Activity
    2.5%

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorMkII View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with it, however I'd like to see what Sarah or one of the other more nutritionally minded folks would have to say.

Have you considered something like a hard-boiled egg or two?
    I eat egg whites in the morning and sometimes post work-out so by the end of the day I'm all egged out. Nuts are pretty much my only source of fat so I figured that it wont hurt me too much. I'm just wondering if consuming 30g of fat in one sitting, especially at night is a no no. I'm not adding them to my diet, I'm just eating them before bed now whereas before I would eat them in the day.

vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.2%
    Weekly Activity
    2.5%
    Achievements 2000 Activity Points!1000 Activity Points100 Rep Points500 reputation points500 Posts!

It's perfectly fine. However I'd recommend you add some protein to your last meal to keep you in a more anabolic state at night. What is it you don't like about protein shakes?

vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.83%
    Weekly Activity
    2.5%
    Achievements 10,000 Activity Points!5000 Activity Points!2000 Activity Points!1000 Activity Points100 Rep Points

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, unless it's more calories than you have been eating at that time.
    Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed because we never pushed beyond the obstruction.

vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.59%
    Weekly Activity
    2.5%

Quote Originally Posted by Scott21 View Post
    It's perfectly fine. However I'd recommend you add some protein to your last meal to keep you in a more anabolic state at night. What is it you don't like about protein shakes?
    I'm not a big fan of shakes because they taste fake. I force myself to drink one post work-out with berries and milk, but at night the shake I make will have too many carbs & sugar. I just wish there were more options for protien. I just get so sick of eating the same thing.

Retired Moderator "Shape Up" Champion ArchAngel's Avatar
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.12%
    Weekly Activity
    2.5%
    Achievements 2000 Activity Points!1000 Activity Points100 Rep Points500 Posts!1000 Posts!!!
    Awards Shape Up Contest Winner - Winner 2010 Fall Shape Up ContestShape Up Contest Winner - Winner 2010-2011 Winter Shape Up ContestShape Up Contest Winner - Co-winner 2011 Summer Shape Up Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Alit00 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of shakes because they taste fake. I force myself to drink one post work-out with berries and milk, but at night the shake I make will have too many carbs & sugar. I just wish there were more options for protien. I just get so sick of eating the same thing.
    VitaSport makes a very good tasting Protein drink with no sugar and only 2g Carbs, Isopure also makes a no sugar, no carb protein. I'm partial to Vanilla and both brands taste great. I mix mine with water, I never use milk since I'm at work but it's smooth just like a Vanilla Shake, add a few strawberries and you should be good to go.
    Phil "The Archangel"

"Nothing worthwhile ever happens quickly and easily. You achieve only as you are determined to achieve..."

http://www.oxygen4energy.com/fit4life
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=706969294

vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.2%
    Weekly Activity
    2.5%
    Achievements 2000 Activity Points!1000 Activity Points100 Rep Points500 reputation points500 Posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Alit00 View Post

Ok, well that makes perfect sense, and your solution go to proteinfactory.com or trueprotein.com. Even though TP is cheaper we Cali residents get ****ed on the near 10% sales tax and PF offers cheaper shipping. Get whey isolate with no added carbs or sugar, have 35grams at night with about a handful of almonds and you will have a steady state of protein keeping your body in an anabolic state at night.

vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    84.43%
    Weekly Activity
    2.5%

I always knew you were a nut!

Most people eat a scoop of peanut butter with their shake at night. There shouldn't be much difference and you can feel like your at the circus every night!

Man... now I want to go get a bag and start cracking.
    I don't have muscles I'm just retaining coffee

vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.59%
    Weekly Activity
    2.5%

Quote Originally Posted by haven68rs View Post
    I always knew you were a nut!

Most people eat a scoop of peanut butter with their shake at night. There shouldn't be much difference and you can feel like your at the circus every night!

Man... now I want to go get a bag and start cracking.
    Yeah a little bit of a nut. I know this sounds weird but I have a thing for shucking shells so that is why I prefer eating the peanuts vs throwing the pb in my shake..lol